To the editor:
This is an old tale that has been heard by many and will be new to many. Our country's "last chance" election draws near. It would be prudent to read this and give it serious thought. After Nov. 6, there will be no "do-over."
The last presidential election was drawing near. Many of these third grade pupils showed an interest. The teacher decided there would be an election for class president. Nominees would be chosen and speeches would be made. The candidates narrowed down to James and Olivia.
The day arrived when they made their speeches. James had specific ideas on how to make the class a better place. He ended by promising to do his very best. Everyone applauded. James sat down.
Olivia's speech was concise. She said, "If you vote for me, I will give you ice cream." She sat down. The class went wild. Surely she would say more. She didn't. Olivia won by a landslide. A discussion followed: How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? Would her parents buy it? She didn't know. The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was the ice cream.
Every time Barack Obama opened his mouth he offered ice cream and 51.4 percent reacted like nine-year-olds. The other 48.6 percent knew they were going to have to feed the cow and clean up the mess.
Will you be a part of the 51.4 percent group in November?
Charles E. Deibert